1. Sunday Celebrations in the Absence of a Priest – Bulletin Inserts:
#1 – An Overview
#2 – The Mass vs. Celebrations Without a Priest
#3 – The Roles of Those Who Participate
#4 – The Forms of Sunday Celebrations
2. Liturgical Catechesis
Part I – BASIC RESOURCES FOR PRIESTS, DEACONS, AND LITURGY PLANNERS
Click here to find these resources on the National Conference of Catholic Bishops’ website.
♦General Instruction of the Roman Missal
♦Adaptations of the Institutio Generalis Missalis Romani for the Dioceses of the United States of America
♦Norms for the Distribution and Reception of Holy Communion Under Both Kinds in the Dioceses of the USA
♦The Priest at Mass
♦The Deacon at Mass
♦The Reader at Mass
♦The Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion at Mass
♦The worshiping Assembly at Mass
♦Ministers and Roles Within the Liturgical Assembly at Mass
♦Postures and Gestures at Mass
♦Hearing the Word of God at Mass
♦The Eucharistic Prayer
♦The Reception of Holy Communion at Mass
*The above articles are also available in Spanish at www.usccb.org.
Part II – PARISH HANDOUTS
Parishes and institutions of the Archdiocese of Dubuque have permission to reproduce the articles listed below and to distribute them through parish bulletins and other means of parish communication. Parishes and institutions OUTSIDE the Archdiocese of Dubuque must individually contact Fr. Dennis Smolarski, SJ, to obtain permission to reprint articles with his copyright.
Changes in the Mass
Why Aren’t We Processing With the Lectionary Anymore? Why Are We Using the Book of the Gospels Instead?
When Should We Bow and When Should We Genuflect at Mass?
Why is There A Different Creed Sometimes Used at Mass?
The Eucharistic Prayer
What is the Proper Posture for the Eucharistic Prayer
What is the Gesture of Reverence for Communion and How Does it Take Place?
Why Can’t I Dip the Consecrated Host Into the Consecrated Wine Myself?
What Changes Will There Be For Lay Eucharistic Ministers?
Should Our Parish Have A Crucifix or a Cross?
Why Should We Have Music At All Masses?
OTHER RESOURCES ON THE GIRM
- General Instruction of the Roman Missal, (GIRM) Liturgy Documentary Series 2 (USCCB)
- Norms for the Distribution and Reception of Holy Communion Under Both Kinds in the Dioceses of the United States of America, Liturgy Documentary 13, (USCCB)
- A Guide to the General Instruction of the Roman Missal, by Paul Turner (LTP)
- Introduction to the Order of the Mass: A Pastoral Resource of the Bishop’s Committee on the Liturgy
- The General Instruction of the Roman Missal, 1969-2002: A Commentary, by Dennis C. Smolarski, S.J. (The Liturgical Press)