Download the Leader’s Guide: Going Deeper
Loving God, send your Spirit to open our hearts to Jesus. Guide us to a deeper conversion. Grant us a greater appreciation of the beauty and truth of our Catholic faith. Give us the courage and confidence to joyfully share our faith with others. May your Church be a beacon of light for all who seek your loving presence. Be with us now as we explore one of our Top Ten Reasons to be Catholic! Mary, faithful Mother of God, intercede for us. We make this prayer through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, One God, forever and ever. Amen.
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Matthew …
The Gospel of the Lord:
Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ.
Video # 1: Why Care About the Saints? Rev. James Martin S.J.
- How has a saint befriended you?
- When have you witnessed heroic virtue in a living saint?
- Which beatitude do you see being lived out most in this living saint?
- How is God calling you—right now—to grow in holiness (which beatitude is most challenging for you)?
Handout #1: We Need Saints Handout #1 Discussion Question: What is your reaction to this poem? Why?
Video #2: Rev. Scott Bullock, pastor of Church of the Nativity and witnesses from the Archdiocese of Dubuque.
- Who was your favorite saint growing up? Why? Who is your favorite saint now?
- How has a canonized saint challenged, encouraged, or helped you along the way?
- Who is your patron saint?
Handout #2: Sayings of the Saints
Handout #2 Discussion Question: Which is your favorite saying of the saints? Why?
You may also show this beautiful video:
Video #3: Witness of Anastasia Nicklaus Schmelzer, Director of Campus Ministry at Clarke University in Dubuque, IA.
- How have you experienced the communion of saints? How has your relationship changed with someone who has died and become a member of the great cloud of witnesses?
- What does the phrase, “love lasts” mean to you?
- How can the communion of saints help us to fight the feeling of loneliness?
Please be sure to make time for large group discussion:
- What did you learn about the saints?
- What did you like best about the session?
- What is one thing you will share with someone at home or in your sphere of influence?
- What difference does it make in one’s life to believe in the saints and the communion of saints?
Litany of Saints:
Create a litany of the saints or use a traditional litany of the saints:
Or play one of these 3 videos
Prayer For Sainthood: Loving God, you have called each of us to be holy. Thank you for the saints who show us the pathway to holiness. Grant us a deep desire for sainthood. Help us to be men and women of prayer, humility, love, and service. Give us the strength and courage to live the beatitudes. Mary, and all the saints in Heaven, intercedes for us. We make this prayer through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit. One God, forever and ever. Amen.