Download Leader’s Guide: Going Deeper
Loving God, send your Spirit to open our hearts to Jesus. Guide us to a deeper conversion. Grant us a greater appreciation of the beauty and truth of our Catholic faith. Give us the courage and confidence to joyfully share our faith with others. May your Church be a beacon of light for all who seek your loving presence. Be with us now as we explore community. Mary, faithful Mother of God, intercede for us. We make this prayer through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, One God, forever and ever. Amen.
Scripture (Two Choices):
A reading from the Acts of the Apostles: “They devoted themselves to the teaching of the apostles and to the communal life, to the breaking of the bread and to the prayers. Awe came upon everyone, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. All who believed were together and had all things in common; they would sell their property and possessions and divide them among all according to each one’s need. Every day they devoted themselves to meeting together in the temple area and to the breaking bread in their homes. They ate their meals with exultation and sincerity of heart, praising God and enjoying favor with all people. And every day the Lord added to their number those who were being saved.”
The Word of the Lord:
Thanks be to God.
A reading from the Gospel according to John: “I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another. This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
The Gospel of the Lord:
Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ.
Opening Song or select your own song:
How Beautiful is the Body of Christ
Video #1: Communal Life at Our Lady of the Mississippi Abbey
Video #2: Witness of Communal Life at New Melleray Abbey
- How practical is the form of community as outlined in the Acts of the Apostles?
- What aspects of monastic life model community for each of us?
- Are you able to strike a proper balance between prayer and work? Why? Why not?
- How does community help each of us to seek the “one thing”?
- How does your community of faith go beyond conflicts?
Video #3: The Faithful of the Archdiocese of Dubuque
- How is faith formed in your family, the domestic church?
- What rituals do you practice in your family?
- What pressures make family life difficult in our society?
Video #4: The Faithful of the Archdiocese of Dubuque
1. Does your church/parish feel like a real community? Why? Why not?
2. When has someone from your parish given you support during a difficult time? How?
3. How does our parish reach out to the suffering? Where are there needs which could be addressed?
4. What are the potential benefits from belonging to a small faith community?
Conclusion: What difference does community make in our lives?
Please be sure to make time for large group discussion.
1. What did you learn about community?
2. What did you like best about the session?
3. What is one insight you will share with someone else?
4. What difference does it make in one’s life to believe in the power of community?
Suggested Closing Song:
Many and One by Steve Angrisano
Loving God, you have called each of us to live in community. Help us to witness to you through our love for one another. Grant us a deep desire to care each other, especially the weakest in our communities. Help us to be men and women of prayer, humility, love, and service. Give us the strength and courage to live according to the values of true community. We make this prayer through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.