Download Leader’s Guide: Going Deeper
Loving God, send your Spirit to open our hearts to Jesus. Guide us to a deeper conversion. Grant us a greater appreciation of the beauty and truth of our Catholic faith. Give us the courage and confidence to joyfully share our faith with others. May your Church be a beacon of light for all who seek your loving presence. Be with us now as we explore the Eucharist. Mary, faithful Mother of God, intercede for us. We make this prayer through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, One God, forever and ever. Amen.
Scripture: Matthew 26:26-29
A reading from the holy Gospel according to Matthew:
While they were eating, Jesus took bread, said the blessing, broke it, and giving it to his disciples said, “Take and eat; this is my body.” Then he took a cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you, for this is my blood of the covenant, which will be shed on behalf of many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, from now on I shall not drink this fruit of the vine until the day when I drink it with you new in the kingdom of my Father.”
The Gospel of the Lord
Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ
Opening song or select your favorite hymn on the Eucharist
Video #1: Archbishop Michael O. Jackels
- What does self-gift mean to you? What virtues do you need to give more generously of self?
- When have you witnessed an incredible act of self-gift?
- How does the Eucharist challenge us to participate in Christ’s self-gift in the home/neighborhood/workplace?
Video #2: The Faithful of the Archdiocese of Dubuque
- When have you experienced the real presence of someone at a needed time in your life?
- How is the Eucharist compelling you to take Jesus’ presence to someone in your home, neighborhood, workplace, or parish?
- In what ways does the Real Presence of Christ challenge you?
Video #3: The Faithful of the Archdiocese of Dubuque
- In what ways have you grown in your appreciation and understanding of the Eucharist through your life experiences?
- Why is the Eucharist described as “the sacrament of faith” or the “source and summit” of our lives?
- How do you renew your covenants each week/day?
- How can we keep the Lord’s Day in our busy world?
Conclusion: What did you learn about the Eucharist? What did you like best about the session? What is one thing you will share with someone at home or in your sphere of influence? What difference does it make in one’s life to believe in the real presence of the Eucharist?
Suggested Closing Song: Miracle of Grace: Curtis Stephan
Prayer in Thanksgiving for the Gift of the Eucharist:
Loving God, you have called each of us to be formed in your image. Thank you for the gift of your living presence in the Eucharist. Grant us a deep desire to receive you and to take your presence into the world. Help us to be men and women who pour out our lives for others. Give us the strength and courage to live as the Body of Christ. Make us into people of thanksgiving. Mary, Blessed Mother of the Word Incarnate, intercede for us. We make this prayer through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit. One God, forever and ever. Amen.